So I know they are probably trekking around Italy as I type this (sigh!) but I wanted to hop on a share a few highlights from Lydia and Ryan’s wedding at the Mansion at Maple Heights in Pittsburgh, PA! These two were a dream to work with! I didn’t get to actually meet them in person until the day of their wedding…most of the planning had taken place via Skype from their home in California! When I finally got to meet them, it was like hanging out with an old friend!
They have two versions of how they met…or should I say, how long it took for Ryan to make his move! haha!
“We started work on the same day. We were both just out of college and started a program for new graduate engineers at Northrop Grumman Corporation in Baltimore, MD. We had the same group of friends, we started spending more and more time together, and one day I just leaned over and kissed her.” (Ryan)
-“No way! He took soooo long to kiss me – he was so nervous to make a move! Classic amiright??” (Lydia)
So what do you two like to do together as a couple?
“We love to cook together – especially on a weekend when we can make a fun big meal. We also like to bike (even though Ryan always takes us the hilliest way!) and travel. Some fun places we’ve traveled have been England, India, the Pacific Coast Highway from LA to SF and Wine Country. We also have driven across the country twice together – once through Yellowstone, Colorado and Utah and once through Texas, New Mexico and Arizona. Oh and we love sitting on the couch some days and watching endless amounts of Parks and Rec.”- LydiaSpill the beans…tell us about the proposal!!
“We were driving across the southwest US while I (Ryan) was moving to California. We were in Arizona, and on our way to spend the night in Sedona, AZ (which is really beautiful if you’ve never been there!) I had hoped to go for a hike in the red rock mountains around Sedona to find a secluded spot to watch the sunset and pop the question…but, typical for us, we lingered too long exploring the Painted Desert and Petrified Forest earlier in the day, and we were late. As I was hurrying to get us there (driving maybe slightly faster than I should have), I asked Lyd to find an overlook where we could watch the sunset, preferably somewhere we could have a little bit of privacy.”- Ryan
“When he asked that… I had a hunch. So I yelped and trip advisored until I found a good spot that was supposedly in a park and overlooked a beautiful red rock. Unfortunately, our GPS took us to the wrong side of the park! At that point there was only a few minutes left til sunset – and the entrance to the park was so far away. But we found a little trail that went off into the woods – so he suggested we check it out. We walked a bit to a clearing with the sun setting on the red rocks in the background with the moon rising in the distance He asked and of course I said yes! “- LydiaLove is…..
“Love is never having to get dressed if I don’t feel like it. I can wear pajamas all day, and while she might roll her eyes, she loves me anyway :)” (Ryan)
“Totally messing up his Netflix queue by watching all the episodes of Keeping Up with the Kardashians… and he still gives me the password” (Lydia)Give us 3 random things about each other:
1) I’m directly descended from John Marshall – the 2nd chief justice of the United States.
2) One time I made a pact with friends to go to Vegas on a Saturday night if we flipped heads on our first try. We flipped heads and we were on our way about 30 minutes later.
3) I was a Disney Imagineer for two summers and helped build Toy Story Midway Mania in Disney Hollywood studios.
1) I play guitar and electric bass. I’ve been in bands since I was 15.
2) I love baseball, I’ve been to baseball games in twelve different cities, and I hope to visit all 30 someday.
3) I’ve been to 33 US states, including Alaska to go salmon & halibut fishing with my dad. And two years ago we spent 10 days in India to go to a real Indian wedding (with elephants!)“The week before we got engaged, we were driving across the country together in my car, which was full of all my stuff – including her engagement ring, which I picked up from my parents on the way. The whole week I was SUPER paranoid about making sure it was safe, and I was really aggressive about locking the car any time we stepped away for even a second. I also had to be unusually protective of my phone – all of Lyd’s friends knew exactly when I was planning to propose, and kept texting me to ask about it, and I was really worried she would see a message and figure me out. As the week went on she got progressively more puzzled by my nervous behavior – until we finally got to Sedona, I managed not to screw it up too bad, and I could explain myself. I think a lot of weird things from that week made sense to her then.”-Ryan
“I would say the theme of our relationship is exploration. We both love trying new things and going new places together. It’s one of the things that first brought us together, and a lot of my favorite memories of us are from when we’ve traveled across the country and taken an unplanned detour, or tried to cook something we’ve never had before. I’m excited to keep exploring together!” (Ryan)Yes, it rained on their wedding day…but we just went with it. We ended up at the Columns at the Mellon Institute in Pittsburgh. For you out of towners, it’s where they filmed part of the Batman movie! And do you want to know what I love about these two…..they put in touches of their own personalities! I mean, dinosaur place card holders and an ice cream cake…c’mon!! <3 And it may have been dreary and rainy outside the tent…but inside it was warm, with a beautiful glowing ambience and romantic.Their first dance took place in the foyer of the Mansion…I love how their friends and family gathered around them!
Then the party started…and let me tell you…the floor was packed all night! Lydia and Ryan, you have the most funnestestest friends!! (yes I realize that is not really a word!) haha!
and I saved the last image for last because I freakin love this photo of Grandma kicking up some dance moves..I’m tell you, she was the life of the party!